Saturday, June 14, 2014

It Seems Impossible... But I Just Have to Try!

I have a friends birthday tomorrow and I wanted to make him a gift. I have 'known' him for a few years now, but have just started really talking to him in the last month. He just got back from an LDS Mission and I ran into him and his family a month or two after he returned. So I do not know him super well and have had a hard time coming up with something to make. As he is a friend, I have this inner thing that makes me feel silly if I do not make a gift! I need to make gifts for friends. The End.

So, being friends with his mom, I asked her all sorts of questions about favorite scriptures and hymns and such, because I thought a wall hanging might fit this friend better than a stuffed animal. Though I think he would enjoy that too. She named the song If You Could Hie To Kolob. Well, wow. I just finished making myself a wall hanging titled The Tree of Life (1 Nephi 8, 11-12, and 15)
and I have fallen in love with it. It is such a special piece of art. So I am in exactly the mood to create more pieces like this. But how could I capture this song?! I used Google and Pinterest to find representations of this song done by other people, and guess what? I could not find one! I found space-themed pictures as parts of videos that are shown behind the song, but no personal, individual piece of art. No drawing, sculpture, quilt. :( I am sure that if I had typed in different keywords I might have found something, but I do not know them and could not do it. So I got out my hymn book and underlined key points I want to represent: -Hie, -*Twinkling of an Eye, -*Heaven, Earth, Kolob= connection to H eaven and Earth, the closet planet.. , -*Eternal Round, -Improvement and Progression. Then I looked up the scriptures referenced under the words. (Abraham 3:1-4, 10; Moses 1:3-4, 33-39) I noticed in Abraham "And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it;

 And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest" So Kolob is closest to Heaven and there are many 'smaller' 'planets' close to Kolob. For arts sake, this is how I chose to interrupt it. In the song it talks about viewing the last creation, finding out the generation where Gods began to be, Gods and matter, "The works of God Continue, and worlds and lives abound; Improvement and Progression have one eternal round." So I want to represent Heaven, Earth, continuing creation, other Gods and their creations, and everything continuing forever and ever. The most I had to go off of was colorful planets and space. Beautiful and vague. And my own representation of Heaven. A castle/Temple in clouds with Heavenly light or such behind it. So here is what I have so far. Everything put together, pinned onto the fabric, waiting to be sewn on and completed. :
 My friends birthday is tomorrow. I got the basics of this yesterday and have to finish the rest tonight because unless he is sick or goes to his family ward I will likely see him in church tomorrow. I think it turned out pretty well. I hope people can 'translate' it, figure out what things are supposed to be. -Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment